Heritage Coast in England and Wales
A Heritage Coast is a length of coastline designated by the Countryside Agency in England and the Countryside Council for Wales in Wales, as having notable natural beauty or scientific significance. Around 30% of the coastline in England and Wales has been designated Heritage Coast up to now (April 2006). This represents 1,027 kms in England and 500 kms in Wales.
The Heritage Coast status means that these areas are managed to conserve their natural beauty and to improve accessibility for visitors. Much of these Heritage Coasts are within National Parks or existing Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). Many of the most spectacular areas of coastline lie within Heritage Coast areas, such as Beachy Head in Sussex, Flamborough Head in Yorkshire and Land's End at the tip of Cornwall.
The first Heritage Coast was Beachy Head with its famous white cliffs and there has been a steady increase in the areas with this designation until now when the list stands at 32 areas. These are detailed below running clockwise from the north east to south to north west.
England's Heritage Coasts
1. North Northumberland Heritage Coast - From Berwick-upon-Tweed to Druridge Bay in the south including the Farne Islands.
2. Durham Heritage Coast - From Seaham to Hartlepool
3. North Yorkshire & Cleveland Heritage Coast - From Saltburn-by-the-Sea nearly to Scarborough and includes the spectacular Robin Hood's Bay.
4. Flamborough Headland Heritage Coast - From Filey Bay to Bridlington including the headland at Flamborough.
5. Spurn Heritage Coast - Covers the area of Spurn Head at the mouth of the River Humber
6. North Norfolk Heritage Coast - From Old Hunstanton to Weybourne including Blakeney Point.
7. Suffolk Heritage Coast - From Kessingland near Lowestoft to Felixstowe.
8. South Foreland Heritage Coast - An area to the north of Dover, Kent.
9. Dover-Folkestone Heritage Coast - Includes the Dover to Folkestone area.
10. Sussex Heritage Coast - Beachy Head area - From Beachy Head to Seaford.
11. Tennyson Heritage Coast - From Freshwater, Isle of Wight to St Catherine's Point including The Needles rocks.
12. Hamstead Heritage Coast - Area between Yarmouth and Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
13. Purbeck Heritage Coast - Includes the Isle of Purbeck and the Purbeck Hills in Dorset
14. West Dorset Heritage Coast - From Portland to Seaton including Lyme Regis.
15. East Devon Heritage Coast - From Sidmouth to Budleigh Salterton.
16. South Devon Heritage Coast - From Berry Head, Brixham to WemburyBay.
17. Rame Head Heritage Coast - On the headland overlooking Plymouth Sound.
18. Gribbin Head Heritage Coast - From Looe to St. Austell Bay.
19. The Roseland Heritage Coast - From Mevagissey to St Mawes, on the Roseland peninsular, Cornwall.
20. The Lizard Heritage Coast - From Ruan Minor to Porthleven including Lizard Point.
21. Isles of Scilly Heritage Coast - Covers most of the Scilly Isles.
22. Penwith Heritage Coast - From Mousehole to St. Ives including Land's End.
23. Godrevy-Portreath Heritage Coast - From Godrevy Point, on north Cornwall coast, to Portreath.
24. St Agnes Heritage Coast - Area around St. Agnes Head, north Cornwall coast.
25. Trevose Head Heritage Coast - Area around Trevose Head, north Cornwall coast.
26. Pentire Point Heritage Coast - From Padstow Bay to Widemouth Bay including Tintagel Head.
27. Hartland Heritage Coast - From Sandy Mouth in Cornwall to Westward Ho! in Devon, including Hartland Point.
28. Lundy Heritage Coast - All of the island of Lundy off of the north Devon coast.
29. North Devon Heritage Coast - From Braunton to Ilfracombe in north Devon.
30. Exmoor Heritage Coast - Covers the area of Exmoor coast to Minehead.
31. St Bees Head Heritage Coast - The area of St. Bee Head, near Whitehaven, Cumbria.
1. Glamorgan Heritage Coast - From Llanwit Major to Porthcawl in South Wales.
2. Gower Heritage Coast - Around most of the Gower peninsular near Swansea, Wales.
3. South Pembrokeshire Heritage Coast - From Caldey Island to Milford Haven, Wales.
4. Marloes and Dale Heitage Coast - Around the headland of the same names - including Skokholm and Skomer Islands.
5. St Brides Bay Heritage Coast - Along St Brides Bay in west Wales.
6. St David's Peninsular Heritage Coast - From Newgale to Stumble Head including St David's Head.
7. Dinas Head Heritage Coast - Area around Dinas Head, near Fishguard.
8. St Dogmaels Moygrove Heritage Coast - From Newport to Cardigan in west Wales.
9. Ceredigion Heritage Coast - From Gwbert-on-Sea to Aberystwyth in west Wales, including New Quay.
10. Lleyn Heritage Coast - Around the Lleyn Peninsular in North Wales., including Bardsey Island.
11. Aberffraw Bay Heritage Coast - Around Aberffraw Bay on Anglesey.
12. Holyhead Mountain Heritage Coast - Around the headland at Holyhead, Anglesey.
13. North Anglesey Heritage Coast - From Church Bay to Amlwch on the north Anglesey coast.
14. Great Orme Heritage Coast - Around Great Orme Head near Llandudno, North Wales.
More about the Heritage coasts of Britain can be found at the Countryside Agency link below.